Thursday, January 9, 2014

First Day at CSC!

Today was my first day at the Children Services Center and I had a great time! I helped out with the Kid's Crew Program which is a social skills class of children 4-8, primarily serving kids on the autism spectrum, in which they learn greetings, appropriate body language, sharing, etc. Today I observed the kids ages 6-8 where they learned to do introductions. Since it was like a class, they got the chance to play outside where I played with them as well as inside where we played HeadBands.

Although before the class started I prepared the class by setting up the chairs in a half circle and covering the toys because it distracts the kids. When the class was over, two other volunteers and I cleaned up the classroom by simply putting the chairs back where they are suppose to go and wiping down the table. They wipe the tables down because the kids in the 4-6 year olds class drool a lot more and put their hands in their mouth.

While waiting to get picked up, I observed the two OTs working with other kids in the gym. I saw an OT have a little boy brush his teeth as one of the activities/ exercises which was interesting because its a challenge for some of these kids. When the last child left I cleaned the gym up by taking the hanging things off, and putting everything back where it was suppose to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment